NHS 70 Celebrations
The National Health Service turned 70 on 5th July 2018 - providing the perfect opportunity to celebrate the achievements of one of the nation’s most loved institutions, to look at the wide array of opportunities being created by advances in science, technology and information, and to thank the extraordinary NHS staff – the everyday heroes.
North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust, Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust and North Cumbria NHS Clinical Commissioning Group are working together to celebrate this occasion, along with our partners and the community. You can read our round up of all the week's celebrations here.
Trust Talk NHS 70 Special Edition
To celebrate the 70th Birthday of the National Health Service – and to mark this momentous occasion Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust and North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust, have created a very special edition of our Trust Talk magazine.
This birthday edition is full of stories from staff, past and present, on how the NHS has changed over the years. It also reflects on some of the key moments in the history of the NHS, and looks to the future with the latest news about the health and care systems in Cumbria. Have a read online and share with your family and friends - if you have any feedback drop us an email!
Get involved – find out what’s happening locally
Join us to celebrate the NHS turning 70 – find out here about all the events taking place and other ways that you can show your support for the NHS.
Find out more about some of the events that took place to celebrate the NHS 70th Birthday:
- Carlisle City Centre NHS70 party
- Moving service of thanksgiving for the NHS in Cumbria
- Hundreds celebrate NHS parkrun across Cumbria
Sharing your stories
We have been working with local reporters and partner organsiations to share interesting stories about our NHS staff, patients and carers. We were pleased to see some familiar faces featured in our local newspapers - as well as on Border TV! Here are links to all the NHS70 stories and articles which have been featured in local media in the run up to the 70th anniversary.
- What the NHS means to me - hearing from staff across Cumbria
- Amazing NHS workers recognised at award ceremony
- Cumbria set to go blue to mark NHS anniversary
- A career in nursing – Lesley Carruthers, one of Cumbria's most senior nurses urges others to join the profession
- Health team at Cumbria's prison is leading the way nationally
- Renal services at two of Cumbria's hospitals have come top in a national patient satisfaction survey.
- Retired Cumbrian midwife Josephine Hope looks back on her career in the NHS
- Cumbria trans nurse shares emotional journey
- Maryport Nurses discuss changes to community hospital
- Late career change means John Bayliffe is now following in his mum's nursing footsteps
- How an encounter with a mental health patient inspired Linda Bennetts to become a nursing leader
- Kate's quest to improve equality and diversity in the NHS
- Retired nurse Margaret looks back on 60 years in the NHS
- Copeland MP Trudy Harrison shares her thoughts on what makes the NHS great
- How therapy dog Ted is helping mental health patients
- Cumbria out of hours GPs named regional champions in NHS awards
- Nursing student delivers dementia message
- Learning disability nurses inspire others to take up nursing careers
- Hundreds flock to Carlisle Park Run for NHS70
- Happy 70th NHS, love Carlisle parkrun
- "It made me feel proud to be part of the NHS"
- Former NHS patients needed to help train future generation of medics
- Cumbria's unpaid carers are unsung heroes of the NHS
- Patients now receiving dialysis treatment closer to home in Cumbria
- Bid to recruit more blood donors
- Patients praise care at West Cumberland Hospital and Cumberland Infirmary
- How the NHS saved my Dad from rare flesh eating bug
- Cumbria's out-of-hours GP services wins NHS 70 Parliamentary Award
- How Cumbria is now training future medics
- Cumbria's first NHS babies celebrate their birthdays alongside health service
- 'Without the NHS, I wouldn't be here' - Cancer survivor Linda shares her story
- NHS mortuary worker on trying to break taboo around death
- Cumbrian nurses use NHS at 70 to reflect on time working at Dovenby Hall
- Cumbria's NHS is calling on more ex-military personnel to consider a career in the health service
- GPs to prescribe parkrun to patients as parties set for Carlisle and Workington
- New mothers urged to try breastfeeding
- George recalls life as student nurse in Carlisle
- Cumbria's out of hours GPs win NHS70 Parliamentary Award
- Nostalgia exhibition will form part of NHS 70 party
- Cumbria celebrates NHS 70th anniversary
- Cumbria celebrates 70 years of the NHS with tea parties
- Colourful NHS 70 celebrations take over Carlisle city centre