NHS 70 Celebrations
The National Health Service turns 70 on 5th July 2018 - and this is the perfect opportunity to celebrate the achievements of one of the nation’s most loved institutions, to look at the wide array of opportunities being created by advances in science, technology and information, and to thank the extraordinary NHS staff – the everyday heroes.
North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust, Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust and North Cumbria NHS Clinical Commissioning Group are working together to celebrate this occasion, along with our partners and the community.
Throughout the year, there will be a series of events to celebrate the 70th birthday of the NHS, both locally and nationally.
Details of upcoming events and how you can get involved will be added to this website – and you can keep up to date by following us on social media.
Get involved – find out what’s happening locally
Join us to celebrate the NHS turning 70 – find out here about all the events taking place and other ways that you can show your support for the NHS, including:
- Join Unison and the NHS in Carlisle City Centre on Saturday 7th July
- Give thanks for the NHS at Carlisle Cathedral on Sunday 1st July
- Have a cuppa and celebrate with a Big 7Tea party!
Would any local businesses like to show their support for the NHS? Create a health-themed display, host a Big 7Tea party or “go blue” for the day – either wear blue or decorate your place of work! However you want to get involved, let us know what you are planning to do – email email@example.com.
Tell us your stories
We are looking for interesting stories about our NHS staff, patients and carers to be featured in local newspapers – we are aiming for 70 NHS stories over 70 days! For example, have you worked in the NHS for a long time and can talk about how things have changed over the years? Were you there at a key moment in the history of the local NHS, such as the opening of a hospital or new service? Has the NHS gone above and beyond to help you or a family member during a period of ill health? Any old photos also welcome! If you have a story to tell, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read the NHS70 stories here:
- What the NHS means to me - hearing from staff across Cumbria
- Amazing NHS workers recognised at award ceremony
- A career in nursing – Lesley Carruthers, one of Cumbria's most senior nurses urges others to join the profession
- Cumbria set to go blue to mark NHS anniversary
- Health team at Cumbria's prison is leading the way nationally
- Renal services at two of Cumbria's hospitals have come top in a national patient satisfaction survey.
- Retired Cumbrian midwife Josephine Hope looks back on her career in the NHS
- Cumbria trans nurse shares emotional journey
- Maryport Nurses discuss changes to community hospital
- Late career change means John Bayliffe is now following in his mum's nursing footsteps
- How an encounter with a mental health patient inspired Linda Bennetts to become a nursing leader
- Kate's quest to improve equality and diversity in the NHS
In This Section:
Published: 14th May 2018
A special NHS70 parkrun will take place on Saturday 9th June in Carlisle.
Published: 24th April 2018
Local NHS organisations are urging the community to go blue in support of the National Health Service which turns 70 on 5th July 2018.