Stay Well this Winter
It is important that everyone looks after themselves during the winter months, particularly during colder weather.
There are a lot of resources that the public can refer to for simple tips and advice on their health and any concerns they may have:
- The NHS Choices website has information on alcohol intake, healthy eating, how to treat common ailments at home and how you can help look out for others.
- NHS 111 is a free service which the public can call for non-urgent medical advice.
- Pharmacists can be accessed all year round and are trained medical professionals who can provide health advice and over the counter treatments.
- Age UK has some winter wrapped up advice, as well as advice on combatting loneliness along with a range of support that people can access.
- Cumbria County Council have launched a Winter Ready Campaign with advice on winter driving, helping each other, emergency planning, financial support and health.
- If you are a parent or carer of a child aged 0-5 years you can view an NHS guide here, which includes lots of useful hints and tips from experts in child health including hospital specialists, doctors, health visitors and pharmacists. There is also information on the free 'NHS Child Health' app which can be downloaded on Google play and in the App Store.
The NHS in Cumbria is also asking the public to plan in advance by ensuring any repeat prescriptions are ordered early, and that everyone has a well stocked medicine cabinet at home.
Information on which service you should choose based on your needs is explained in the picture below, and you can scroll down for news relating to winter health.
In This Section:
Published: 17th January 2017
For people in South Cumbria, the Primary Care Assessment Service, PCAS, is an alternative to A&E
Published: 12th January 2017
Published: 10th January 2017
The public are being urged to consider eating well and exercising more
Published: 5th January 2017
Public Health England urges adults to consider steps to improve their health
Published: 20th December 2016
Advice on self-care and what services to use for your needs over the Christmas period, including local pharmacy opening times.
Published: 19th December 2016
NCUH are asking the public to only use A&E for serious or life-threatening emergencies during their busiest time of the year
Published: 15th December 2016
By Jane Smith, Lead Governor
Published: 15th December 2016
New advice online for parents when they are unsure of whether to treat their childs symtoms at home or seek medical advice
Published: 13th December 2016
People living in Cumbria are being urged to prepare for the festive season and make sure they have any necessary medicines to hand
Published: 9th November 2016
The November 2016 issue of Trust Talk is here
Published: 22nd December 2015
Advice for repeat prescriptions over the festive period
Published: 16th November 2015
During Self Care Week we want to remind you about why it’s important to choose well when accessing local health services
Published: 13th November 2015
Self Care Week is a national awareness week that focuses on embedding support for self care across communities, families and generations
From Our Community Health Team ‘Keep calm and look after yourself’ to combat those common winter illnesses
Published: 18th December 2014
The NHS in Cumbria is joining forces once again this year to urge Cumbrians to ‘Keep calm and look after yourself’ to combat the usual winte
From Our Community Health Team Don’t be left out in the cold, understand how to look after your winter ailments
Published: 21st November 2014
During Self Care Week we want to support you to self care for life and understand how to take better care of yourself and your family