Children’s Community Paediatrics
This is a team of doctors who specialise in assessing and managing children and young people (aged 0-18 years old) who have developmental delay or disability. This includes working as part of the Multi-Agency Assessment Team (MAAT) for children and young people who may have autism.
Their work also includes assessing and meeting the health needs of children and young people who are 'looked after' and those who are being adopted. The team works closely with other health professionals such as GPs, therapists, nurses, hospital doctors, as well as staff from other agencies, such as social care and education.
We have put together a list of useful resources below that may be helpful for disabled children, young people and their families and carers:
- Challenging behaviour information
- Information on the blue badge scheme
- Helpful information for children on the autism spectrum
- Useful information on growing up with a disability
- Information on special educational needs in Cumbria
- Helpful sleeping advice for children and young people with a disability
- Helpful advice on speech, language and communication needs
What parents have said about the service:
The doctor spoke to us with compassion and we were able to understand what was being said.
The service can be accessed by referral, using the CPFT Physical Health referral form or providing equivalent information, from a GP, health visitor or other health professional or through the school or children’s centre.
Workington Community Hospital
Tel 01900 705080
Tel 01539 718150
Atkinson Health Centre
Barrow in Furness
Tel 01229 409628
Carlisle and Eden
Springboard Child Development Centre
Tel 01228 608112