Equality, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI)
The Trust is committed to providing an equal environment which eliminates victimisation, discrimination and harassment for all staff and service users. We are committed to delivering accessible services to all communities living in Cumbria. Our aim is to prevent discrimination and victimisation and improve the quality of life for all which in return will improve the quality of our workforce, the services we deliver and the environment under which service users receive care, treatment and support.
To ensure that EDI is part of everyday life within the Trust we aim to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
To find out more about EDI in the Trust please refer to the Equality and Diversity Policy which can be accessed here and on the policy section of the website. Each year we publish an annual report for EDI our latest version can be found below.
Equality Act 2010
The Equality Act 2010 came in to force on 1st October 2010. The aim of the Equality Act is to:
- Help make Britain a more equal society
- Provide new cross-cutting legislative framework protecting the rights of individuals
Under the act individuals are protected under 9 protected characteristics which relate to 7 types of discrimination.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Representatives and Staff Networks
The Representatives play a key role within EDI at the Trust. They promote EDI and aid in engaging staff and service users.
We currently have over 100 equality, diversity and inclusion representatives across North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust and Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust.
We also have 4 staff networks
- Armed Forces Staff Network – Military@cumbria.nhs.uk
- Accessibility Staff Network – Accessibility@cumbria.nhs.uk
- LGBT Staff Network – LGBT@cumbria.nhs.uk
- Cultural Diversity Staff Network – CulturalDiversity@cumbria.nhs.uk
If you would like to become involved please contact email@example.com