Meet our Governors
University of Cumbria
Term Expires: 2020
Alison Hampson was appointed as the Governor representative for University of Cumbria in May 2017.
I am Head of Department for Health, Psychology and Social Studies at the University of Cumbria. I joined the university in 2002 after working in the National Health Service for nearly 20 years. I worked as an Occupational Therapist in Dumfries, Glasgow and Carlisle and gained a vast experience of working with individuals with occupational performance issues caused by their medical, neurological, surgical, orthopaedic and age-related conditions. I have significant leadership and management experience and have also worked as a medical researcher and a research therapist.
My role as an Appointed Governor enables me to suggest ways in which the University of Cumbria can support the Trust, as well as being a voice for Allied Health Professionals. As one of the largest providers of health care professionals in the North-West, the University aims to enrich the lives of individuals and communities and raise aspirations in Cumbria to ensure that local residents value health and care roles. The university provides local opportunities to become health and care professionals with programmes to become nurses, midwifes, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, paramedics and radiographers, as well as continuing professional development opportunities.
I am currently studying for my Doctor of Education (EdD) at Strathclyde University and am due to complete in the September 2020.
Qualifications and memberships:
- MSc, PgD, PgCE, BA (Hons), DipCOT, SFHEA
- Member of the Council of Occupational Therapy Education Directors
- Member of the Council of Deans of Health, and a member of the Council’s regulation advisory group
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Registered with the Health and Care Professions Council as an Occupational Therapist
- Professional member of the Royal College of Occupational Therapists
Recent external roles:
I currently hold two External Examiner posts;
- BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy programme at the University of East Anglia
- BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy programme at Queen Margaret's University
and have been an External Expert for numerous university validation events around the UK
I am a Royal College of Occupational Therapists pre-registration programme accreditor